Trips & More Free Wi-Fi

Sometimes, I wonder if I really like New York as much as I think I do.

I went to Pittsburgh and back yesterday on a megabus. I paid almost no money at all to sit on a bus and on a bench for about 20 hours. I'm not really sure why I did it. I suppose I knew that I wasn't going to be doing anything productive anyways, and I figured I'd be able to get a lot of reading done. Well, joke's on me, because those buses have Wi-Fi and of course I probably spent 4 of those 20 hours on Facebook.

The bus made a stop at Penn State. At first, I was like, "Woah, a real college! I wish I could go here! This is so cute!" Then, after about 2 minutes, I realized that I was already bored. The charm of college towns never lasts very long.

Pennsylvania is really pretty. I caught myself thinking, "I want to quit school and just go be Amish," a couple of times. We don't get a lot of full, green trees and rolling hills in Manhattan. The Pennsylvania countryside is probably the most beautiful place I've seen in real life. If Pennsylvania is the Caribbean, Texas is the East River.

But when I got back and stepped off that bus at 7th Avenue and 28th Street, I felt relieved. Other places are nice, but they're nothing like Manhattan. I'm comforted by the endless sidewalk and the shouting halal cart workers at 2 in the morning. I embrace the cry of police sirens. I don't like being away for too long. I think 20 hours was cutting it close.

Note: I bring this blog post to you readers via free Wi-Fi in Union Square. Score.

0 Responses on "Trips & More Free Wi-Fi"

Post a Comment